Travel, make new friends, earn credits towards your study, and pay the same tuition you do now, all from a new country.
Overseas study options
There are three options for overseas study:
- Student exchange: this is where you travel abroad to one of our partners for a semester, or two. You get to earn credits towards your programme, pay the Wintec fees, and keep your study link benefits.
- Internship abroad: when your programme at Wintec has a work placement/experience module, you could undertake this module/placement overseas.
- Scholarships: The Prime Minister's Scholarships are funded by the New Zealand Government and administered by Education New Zealand Manapou ki te Ao to support New Zealanders' learning experiences in Asia and Latin America. They offer flexible funding to support both short and long-term programmes, including study abroad/exchange, internships, postgraduate study, and language programmes.
Benefits to student exchange
- Explore the world, cultures, and perspectives while you study
- Earn credits towards your programme of study at Wintec
- Discover career opportunities
- Experience personal and professional growth
You are not alone when you study abroad. The Wintec International team supports you from beginning to end to help make sure you are prepared, feel safe, and happy. Wintec provides your travel and health insurance free of charge to ensure your utmost safety while overseas.
You can also apply for a student allowance, loan, or scholarship for overseas study through StudyLink. Note, you will receive these payments for the dates of your exchange, not the corresponding Wintec semester.
Budgeting and costs
In addition to the cost of your flights, we recommend you budget approximately $2000 per month to cover general living expenses, accommodation, food, entertainment, and insurance. Also, remember to consider any ongoing costs that need covering in New Zealand while you are away.
If you plan to do a lot of extra travel, make sure you factor this into your budget as well. The amount needed per month varies by destination, so it is worth talking to our team to get an idea of more specific costs.
Wintec has partners from the following countries:
If you are a Wintec student who has studied here for at least two semesters, have a B average, and are a permanent resident or citizen of New Zealand, you could be eligible.
Check your eligibility by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
- Research which country/institute best suits your study goals
- Complete the 'contact us' form at the bottom of this page
- You will be contacted by the study abroad office and we will work through the following with you:
- Module mapping
- Nomination to partner and application process
- Travel preparation – visa, flights, insurance
- Make sure you have a current CV/resume and passport
If you are interested in studying abroad, please send us an email or fill in the form below.
Wintec will store your contact details to respond to your query, keep a profile of your interactions with Wintec, and send you promotional material.